Food and Culture – Top 10 Popular Street Foods across the world0
Summary: Travelling and exploring new countries satisfies human curiosity about how people live – foods offer the other dimension. How interesting a city and its culture are get defined by its markets and the kinds of foods that are offered on street corners.
Food is such an integral part of every culture that it is impossible to do justice and highlight even street food without missing an item or two. For those with an adventurous palate, street foods are available at unbelievable prices and mind boggling variety as well. These foods are served from all kinds of vehicles – pushcarts, stalls, food trucks or even of the back of a bicycle. Here’s a look at some interesting and much beloved foods – a must try for one and all.
Top 10 Street Foods:
• Ramen Noodles in Tokyo: This dish consists of thin noodles which are usually cooked in a meat broth, flavored with miso or soy and a choice of toppings. Choose from pork, green onions or seaweed. One can find this and a host of other dishes on Ramen Street in Tokyo.
• Empanadas in Argentina: These are small handmade pies with different fillings – available in a choice of cheese, meat or vegetables. Pastry dough holds the dish together and is served baked or fried. There are very specific restaurants which serve this dish – so go to the best one.
• Crêpes in Paris: This traditional French dish is so delicious that it is a must try for everyone. The classic one is made of ham, Gruyére cheese and egg filling – a sure thing to transport a person to food heaven.
• Gelatos in Italy: This dish is really frozen custard made with eggs, sugar, milk and different flavorings – fruits and nuts as well. There are no words to describe how the flavors burst in one’s mouth and the delight that accompanies eating such a dish.
• Mexican Gorditas: The ultimate in soul food, this wonderful Mexican dish is made from a maize flour tortilla and filled with one’s choice of meat, cheese, veggies and cheese, topped off with a hot sauce.
• Bánh Mì in Hanoi: This Parisian style sandwich consists of cured meats – pork or liver – pickled vegetables like cucumbers and carrots, mayonnaise and chilies, served on a baguette. Easy to find, especially close to shopping areas.
• Sticky Rice in Bangkok: Sticky rice is an eternal favorite with Thai people and is available in a number of different flavors. The most popular one is mango sticky rice which is served through the season when this fruit is available.
• Hot Dogs in New York: This is perhaps the most iconic dish in the US. There are many different varieties and the most commonly found ones in New York City are usually cooked or boiled and served on a bun with mustard, sauerkraut, relish and onions. Sausages in Vienna: How can one go to this wonderful city and not try the dish named for it? Check out Schwedenplatz in Austria.
• Shawarma in Istanbul: This dish consists of slow cooked meat – chicken, lamb or beef. It is served on pita bread with a number of different toppings. A true delight!